These zesty, spicy salmon and sweet potato fishcakes are such a delicious dinner and are full of good ingredients! This recipe makes 10 medium sized fishcakes – I would have two as one portion.
- Heat some olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the salmon fillets skin side down and cooked, turning once, for 10 minutes or until cooked through
- While the salmon is cooking, bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into chunks. Chop the broccoli into florets. Add the sweet potato to the boiling water and cook until soft – 15-20 minutes. Add the broccoli for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter and a teaspoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and a large pinch of sea salt. Sweat the onions for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and chilli to the pan with the onions and stir for around 30 seconds before adding the lime juice. Stir together and turn off the heat.
- When the salmon is cooked, remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Drain the sweet potato and broccoli when cooked and leave to cool.
- When the salmon is cooled, remove the skin and chop into chunks.
- Blitz the sweet potato and broccoli, along with the onions, garlic and chilli, in a food processor until creamy but with some chunks remaining for texture.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the diced pepper, parsley and salmon chunks. Stir together and season generously with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Line a baking tray with some parchment paper. Form the fishcakes and place on the baking tray. Then leave in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan over low-medium heat and add the fishcakes, I cooked mine in 3 batches to leave plenty of room in the pan to turn these. They are very delicate!
- Add the fishcakes to the oil and cook on one side for 5 minutes before flipping carefully onto the other side for another 5 minutes until they start to go slightly crispy on the outside.
- Serve with crunchy stir fried vegetables for a light a nutrient packed dinner!