I’m not a huge fan of porridge but really love oats so I’m always trying out new recipes with them – and this one is so delicious (even if I do say so myself). You can have this for breakfast or as a snack with a cup of tea during the day for a nice healthy treat. It could even pass as dessert!
This oat bake is really easy to make – just mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another, stir them all together and into the oven it goes. I like to add extra chopped lemon zest when there’s 5 minutes left for an extra lemony kick.
This makes 2 – 4 servings – give it a go and let me know what you think!
1 cup oats
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup flaked almonds (plus extra for the top)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Juice of half a large lemon
Zest of one large lemon (plus extra for the top)
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Pour a drizzle of olive oil into a small baking dish (I used a 0.6L one), rub around with your fingers and then line the dish with parchment paper. The oil holds the parchment paper in place.
- Mix the oats, almonds, poppy seeds, salt and baking powder in one large bowl.
- Beat the egg, milk, honey, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in another.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix together and then pour into your baking dish. Sprinkle some extra flaked almonds on top and put the dish in the oven.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes in total. While the oats are baking, prepare the extra lemon zest. Using a vegetable peeler, peel a few slices of lemon zest off another lemon and dice into little pieces. Take the oat bake out of the oven when there’s still 5 minutes to go, sprinkle on the extra chopped lemon zest, cover with tin foil and put the dish back in the oven for the last 5 minutes.
- This is best served hot from the oven but can also be reheated as needed.