Grown-ups and kids alike will love these tasty chicken goujons! I love having these with vegetables and mashed potatoes, or simply vegetables and an egg, but they would also be great in a sandwich or salad.
This is not an exact recipe by any means, just a few simple pointers to make these glorious golden goujons! I don’t give exact measurements here, except for the chicken. I find it’s best to start with a little and add more as you go along.
You can also add any flavouring you want. I suggested paprika but any of your favourite spices mixed in with the flour will work so get creative!
- Chicken breasts (1 per person)
- Panko bread crumbs (*see note)
- Plain flour
- Beaten egg
- Salt & pepper
- Paprika (optional)
- *Note – you can get panko breadcrumbs in most big supermarket chains now. If you can’t find them, another dried breadcrumb will do.
- Slice the chicken breast up into strips.
- Arrange 3 plates or bowls in front of you. In the first one put some plan flour, flavoured with a little salt, pepper and (if you want) paprika; in the second one, put some of the panko breadcrumbs; and put the beaten egg in the third one. .
- Coat each piece of chicken in the flour, then dunk into the egg and finally into the panko breadcrumbs. If you want to make them extra crispy, dunk them back in the egg and coat in more panko breadcrumbs.
- These can be cooked in a frying pan or in the oven – both options below.
- To oven cook, heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the chicken goujons on an oven tray lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for around 15 minutes, until cooked completely through.
- To fry, heat some olive oil in the pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for around 5 minutes on the first side and then flip over to the other side. Cook until nice and golden and completely cooked through (around 10-15 minutes).