This is such a simple recipe – a chicken breast covered in breadcrumbs, smothered in a marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella. It goes perfectly with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables but you could also serve it with pasta if you prefer.
This recipe serves one – double up as needed.
1 chicken breast
4 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon flour
1 egg, beaten
15 cherry tomatoes cut in quarters (or regular tomatoes if this is what you have) or 1/4 tin of tomatoes
1/2 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Handful basil, chopped
4 slices mozzarella
- Add a little olive oil and butter to a pot and heat over low – medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until soft. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes then add the stock and simmer gently for around 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Take the sauce off the heat and leave to cool. When cooled, blend until smooth in a blender / food processor.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the chicken breast between two pieces of parchment paper / cling film and pound with a rolling pin to flatten. This ensures the chicken cooks quickly and evenly. Pour the flour onto a plate and season with salt and pepper. Pour the breadcrumbs onto a separate plate and the beaten egg into a bowl. Dip the chicken into the flour, then into the egg mixture and then cover in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium – high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes or so on each side, until nice and golden.
- Add the chicken to an oven proof dish, top with the marinara sauce and the mozzarella. Cook for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.