Stir-fry’s are a fantastic way to make a delicious meal with lots of vegetables. These chicken and vegetable noodles are nicer than any takeout you could order, I promise you – and much healthier. I’m suggesting peppers, broccoli and carrots here as I think they go really well in a stir fry but just use what you have. Please don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients – most of them will already be in your cupboards.
This recipe serves one – double up as needed!
1 chicken breast, diced
1/4 red pepper, sliced
1/4 yellow pepper, sliced
1 small carrot, peels and sliced
a handful (roughly 4 florets) broccoli
1 spring onion (white and light green parts), sliced
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
tablespoon of salted peanuts, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 small clove of garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
75g rice noodles (noodles of choice / spaghetti)
red chilli flakes
- Check the packet instructions on the rice noodles. These will need to be soaked in boiling water before adding to the stir fry. I added mine to a pot of boiled water (off the heat) and stirred for 10 minutes. Once they are softened, drain and rinse thoroughly in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Make the sauce by mixing the soy sauce, chicken stock, honey, toasted sesame oil, garlic and ginger to a bowl. Add a little black pepper and some red chilli flakes (if using).
- Toast the sesame seeds by heating them in a dry pan for a few minutes until they start to turn a nice golden colour. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Heat a frying pan / wok over high heat. Once hot, add some olive oil and the chicken. Stir fry the chicken until just cooked and set aside on some kitchen paper.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the spring onion, red and yellow pepper, carrot and broccoli. Stir fry the vegetables for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles and the sauce and most of the sesame seeds (reserving some to sprinkle on top) and toss everything together. Cover with a lid for a minute or so to heat the sauce and noodles. I just used a large pot lid for this.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with the coriander and mix.
- Pile everything onto a plate and sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds and the chopped salted peanuts.