This mousse is really easy to make and can be made by hand if you don’t have a mixer – although if you do have one it would be even quicker! This decadent chocolate mousse only requires 3 ingredients and 10 minutes of actual “cooking”. Then it’s into the fridge to chill and that’s it!
I have topped mine with Baileys whipped cream but this is completely optional – you can use regular cream or no cream at all, whatever you prefer.
This is enough for four servings.
Easy Chocolate Mousse with Baileys CreamCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon caster sugar
100g good quality chocolate (I use 70% cocoa)
1 teaspoon baileys
- Use a fork to vigorously beat the egg whites in a large bowl until they’re white and fluffy (around 5 – 8 minutes of beating). Use a mixer or electric whisk for this if you have one but doing it by hand is only an extra couple of minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar to the egg whites and continue to whisk for another 2 – 3 minutes. You will end up with nice shiny, fluffy egg whites.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments being very careful not to burn.
- Take a large spoon of the egg whites and add into the melted chocolate and quickly mix together. Then fold the rest of the egg whites gently into the chocolate mixture (in three batches) being careful not to knock too much air out of the eggs.
- Pour into a serving dish, carefully cover the dish with clingfilm (trying not to let the clingfilm touch the mousse if possible) and chill in the fridge for 4 hours or over night.
- To make the Baileys cream, whisk the cream, baileys and teaspoon of caster sugar together until thick and pipe around the edges of the mousse. If you don’t have a piping bag, just dollop the cream on using a spoon.