This easy pasta dish is so delicious and is sure to be a hit with the whole family! It’s made using everyday staple ingredients so is a great one to have in your back pocket for the days when the fridge is looking a bit empty.
This recipe serves one – just double up as needed.
Sausage and Tomato Pasta BakeCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
2 pork sausages
2 slices of centre cut bacon or streaky bacon, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
125ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon tomato purée
130g chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil (or use chopped fresh basil if you have it)
25g grated parmesan
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add a large pinch of salt and a drop of olive oil. Cook the rigatoni until its al dente according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium – high heat and cook the sausages for 5 – 10 minutes until cooked completely through. Remove the sausages from the pan, chop into bite sized pieces and leave to the side.
- While the sausages are cooking, heat a little olive oil in a pot over medium heat and cook the diced bacon until crisp and golden. Add the diced garlic and stir for around 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes and the tomato purée. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes before adding the vegetable stock.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain but reserve 250ml of the cooking water. Add the cooking water into the pot with the tomato sauce and then add the chopped sausages, grated parmesan, basil, cream and a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to simmer gently for around 5 minutes until it starts to thicken and reduce. Then add the pasta, simmer for a couple of more minutes before pouring into an oven dish.
- Sprinkle the top with a little more parmesan and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.