This Sausage and Bean Casserole is the perfect winter dinner – it’s quick, it’s easy and it’s nice and hearty for these cold nights.
This recipe requires only a handful of ingredients so it’s also great for dinner when the supplies are running low.
You can serve this on it’s own, but it would also be lovely with some mashed potato or pasta if you want to bulk it up a little.
Give it a go today and let me know what you think!
Sausage and Bean CasseroleCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
12 breakfast sausages
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
Splash of red wine (optional)
1 x 400g can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
- Add the butter and a drizzle of olive oil into a pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and a pinch of salt and leave to cook gently for a few minutes.
- When the onion has started to soften, add the sausages and cook for 5 – 10 minutes, until they have started to brown.
- Next add the thyme leaves and the garlic, stir for a minute or so and then add the tomato purée.
- Stir the tomato purée around to coat the sausages and then add the splash of red wine, if using. Leave to bubble for a minute before adding the can of chopped tomatoes. Fill the can to the top with water and add this also.
- Next add the chicken stock. If you are using a cube, just crumble it directly into the pan. If you are using a stock pot, just add it to the pan and it will dissolve in the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the sugar, and leave to bubble gently for 30 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.