These homemade cereal bars are so easy to make, are packed full of nuts and seeds and taste amazing! This a great recipe to make with kids as well – it requires no real cooking (unless you count heating honey and maple syrup) and there are lots of things to measure and weigh!
This recipe will make 12 bars.
Homemade Cereal Bars
150g whole almonds
50g walnut pieces
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
15g sesame seeds
50g puffed rice
50ml maple syrup
Pinch of salt
- Line a 20 x 20cm baking dish with baking parchment / tin foil. I oiled the tin foil to make sure the bars wouldn’t stick to it.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and roast the almonds and walnuts for 8 – 10 minutes.
- While the nuts are roasting, mix together the seeds, puffed rice and salt in a large bowl. When the nuts are done, tip them into the bowl with the seeds.
- Add the maple syrup and honey to a pot and bring to the boil over medium heat. Leave to simmer for 3 – 4 minutes, then pour into the bowl with nuts and seeds.
- Toss quickly with a spoon and pour into the prepared baking dish. The mixture will be extremely sticky. I used a large metal spoon that I greased with olive oil to press the mixture down and smooth out the top. You want to really push down the mixture to compact all the ingredients together and then smooth the top as much as you can.
- Leave to cool for around 20 minutes then slice into bars. I sliced in half and then sliced each half into 6 bars. Leave to cool completely and store in an airtight container.