This is a great recipe for when the supplies and motivation are running low. It’s quick, it’s tasty and it’s packed full of vegetables – perfect for a mid-week dinner!
This recipe serves one – just double up as needed.
One Pot Vegetarian RiceCourse: Dinner
75g basmati rice
150ml chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/4 yellow pepper, diced
40g courgette, diced
15g onion, diced
2 spring onions, sliced (white and light green parts) (see note)
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
10g Garlic Butter (see note)
- Heat a little olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes until the onion has softened. Add the courgette and red and yellow pepper, stir for a minute and add the rice.
- Stir for a minute or two, add the stock, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure the heat isn’t too high as the water will evaporate and the rice won’t cook properly.
- When the rice has absorbed all the water, remove from the heat, add the garlic butter and leave to sit with the lid on for 5 minutes. Stir through the sliced spring onion and parsley and serve.
- If you don’t have garlic butter, well first of all I highly recommend making some and keeping it in the fridge! But, if you don’t have it, just add a diced clove of garlic to the pot one minute before you add the rice.and add a little butter at the very start with the olive oil.
- The spring onions I have are always quite small, which is why I am using two here for one portion. Use your judgement here – if your spring onions are big, just use one!