I love using panko breadcrumbs in recipes but since I haven’t been out grocery shopping in a big supermarket for so long I have had to find a way to make my own. I just don’t think the other dried breadcrumbs are as nice at all! This was super straight forward to make so I’ll probably use these all the time now instead of trying to find panko.
I’m not going to put any quantities because it really doesn’t make any difference – this is just about the method, use whatever amount of bread you want!
- I use sliced white bread for this with the crusts cut off.
- Heat your oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
- Whiz up the bread in a food processor until you get large enough breadcrumbs.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a flat layer in an oven dish. It’s important that the breadcrumbs aren’t too packed and are in a flat layer so use more than one oven dish if necessary.
- Leave the breadcrumbs in the oven to dry out for around 20 minutes. You will know they are done when they feel dry and a bit crispy. They will crisp up more as they cool.
- If you make more than you need, store in an airtight container for up to a week.