This recipe will give you the perfect chip – soft and fluffy on the inside and nice and crisp on the outside – without frying!
I’m not giving you any measurements – use about 1 potato per person. What’s important here is the method!
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Any other spices you fancy (paprika is a good one!)
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into chips around 1cm thick.
- Put the chips into a pot of cold water and bring to the boil.
- When the water starts to boil, drain the chips and put them back into the empty pot – off the heat. Cover with a clean tea towel for 5-10 minutes.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and tip the chips onto it (being careful not to break them).
- Pour over enough olive oil to coat the chips and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper, and any other spices you want to add at this stage.
- Lay the chips flat in a single layer on the baking tray and put into the hot oven.
- Leave to cook for 20 minutes (watching closely). Turn the chips and cook for another 20 minutes.
- I like to then turn the oven right up for 5 minutes to make the chips nice and crispy on the outside – but watch closely so they don’t burn.