I remember my mom making this for us when we were small and it always felt like such a treat. In reality, it’s made using odds and ends from the fridge but there is something about it that just makes it feel like a really special lunch! The recipe is an approximate one – add more or less of whatever you like / have in your fridge.
The recipe below serves 1 – double up as needed.
- 1 slice of sourdough, or whatever bread you have
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of red onion, diced
- a couple of cherry tomatoes, quartered (or a few slices of regular tomato, diced)
- 1 – 2 slices of ham, diced
- 1 large handful of grated cheese (cheddar or a mix of cheddar and mozzerella)
- 1 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the grill to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the combined egg mixture onto the toasted bread.
- Grill the toastie for 8-10 minutes (on a baking tray lined with parchment paper).
Lunch couldn’t be any easier!