I haven’t been grocery shopping for well over a week now and am starting to run low on ingredients. Luckily, this rice and tomato salad can be made with just a handful of ingredients – including cherry tomatoes which keep for ages in the fridge!
This would be a perfect light lunch to enjoy out in the fabulous sunshine we are getting these days! It would also be lovely served as a side dish with lunch or a barbeque.
This recipe serves one – double up as needed!
50g basmati rice
15 – 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, grated
1 vegetable stock pot / cube
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the vegetable stock cube / pot. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Then whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl (big enough to fit the rice and tomatoes).
- When the rice is cooked, drain well but reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Add the reserved cooking water to the sauce and mix well.
- Pour the drained rice into the bowl with the sauce and add the tomatoes. It’s important to do this when the rice is still hot so that it absorbs all the sauce. Mix everything together and keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
- You can make this the day before you need it. Make sure to remove it from the fridge several hours before serving as it’s best served at room temperature.