The lock down is continuing and I’m still determined to avoid going to the shop until absolutely necessary. I’m so conscious now of all the vulnerable people who have no choice but to go out so I’m making sure that I do all I can to help by staying at home. I have a shopping list in my phone that I update as I run out of things. I’m almost out of coffee so that means a trip to the shop is imminent! I’m really enjoying being creative in the kitchen and using what I have. I’ve realised how bad I used to be for just running out to the shop for whatever I needed instead of making do with what I had.
I’m running out of fresh food and was really at a loss as to what to make for dinner today. I was skeptical as I started to make the sauce, with minimal ingredients, and was pleasantly surprised at how good this was – I think I’ll go so far as to say this may now be one of my favourite meals!
This goes great with my Indian-spiced potato wedges, but you could also have it with rice if you prefer.
Give it a go and let me know what you think!
This serves 2 people.
2 chicken breasts
8 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (*see note below)
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
1 small onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
5-6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons cream
3-4 tablespoons water
1 egg, beaten
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over low – medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook slowly until softened. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds. Add the curry powder and turmeric and stir around for a minute or so to cook the spices. Then add the cherry tomatoes, cream, water and sugar and allow to simmer for around 5 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat and leave to cool.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Put the flour on one plate and season with salt and pepper. Put the breadcrumbs on another plate. Dip the first chicken breast into the flour, then dunk in the beaten egg and cover in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the second chicken breast – adding more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Then finish cooking in the oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked completely through.
- While the chicken is cooking, blend the sauce until completely smooth and heat in a small pot.
- Put the chicken on the plates and spoon the sauce over each chicken breast.
*Note: if you don’t have panko breadcrumbs, you can easily make your own. Click here to see how.