This Tex-Mex Fried Rice is a super quick dish to throw together and is a great vegetarian option that’s perfect for a mid-week dinner. It would also be great as a side dish with chilli, fajitas, enchiladas, meatballs and the list goes on!
This is good hot or cold so why not box it up and bring to a friends for a bbq or summer lunch?
This recipe serves one as a main dish – double up as needed.
Tex-Mex Fried RiceCourse: MainCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
1 portion of Perfect Fluffy Rice chilled in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight
15g onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
35g red pepper, diced
15g red onion, diced
50g chopped tomato (I used mixed cherry tomatoes because I love the different colours)
30g black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
Juice of 1/4 lime
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium – high heat. When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the cumin, paprika and chilli powder and stir together for a minute or so before adding the garlic. Stir for another minute, add the rice and stir so all the rice is coated in the spices.
- Cook the rice for 3 – 4 minutes so it absorbs all the flavour from the spices and toasts slightly.
- Add the pepper, red onion, tomatoes, black beans, coriander, lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir through and leave to cook for a couple of more minutes until everything is heated through.
- Serve with torn coriander leaves, sliced avocado and a wedge of lime.